I thought I would put together a list of eco friendly hair care products, some of which I have used and highly recommend and some that sound like a much better option for you, than products which contain SLS, parabens and other nasties! If you are having lockdown hair problems, here are some products which can give your hair some natural TLC.
I have been using shampoo bars for a while now and I am a huge fan. If you haven’t tried using them yet, I’d recommend giving them a try. Here are a few reasons why I love them.
- They are way more cost effective than buying bottles of shampoo as they last so much longer!
- They are environmentally friendly and reduce the amount of plastic waste going into the ocean.
- The majority of shampoo bars contain organic or natural ingredients, which when you think about it, is much better than massaging your head each morning with synthetic fragrances and chemicals.
If you feel like giving shampoo bars a go, here are few options that you could start with….
Eco Hair Brushes & Combs!
If you’re like me and you have had the same hair brush for literally 10 years then great (I think)! But, if you are someone who likes to replaces their plastic hairbrush frequently then maybe you would like to consider some of these options.
Here are some biodegradable options for you…
Nourishing hair treatments
There is nothing better than giving your hair a deep condition. If you’re in desperate need of some hair nourishment, I would recommend some of these amazing quick and easy natural hair treatments. They will leave your hair feeling brand new and super fresh.
Luckily there are so many sustainable, vegan, eco friendly, organic and natural hair care products on the market now. Which is amazing, because we now have options to try something more natural and sustainable. By using a more natural product you are not only protecting your health from potential risks, but you are also contributing to protecting the environment. Making the smallest of changes to your monthly hair product shop, can have a huge impact!
If you want to know more, here are a few facts;
- “About nine million tons of plastic end up in the ocean each year,” explains Tom Szaky, CEO of TerraCycle, a global recycling company on a mission to eliminate waste. “Every year more people are producing more waste. According to the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, by 2050 there will be more plastic by weight in our oceans than fish.” (National Geographic, JUNE 7, 2019)
- It is estimated that by 2050 the ocean will contain more plastic by weight than fish. The plastic that finds its way into the oceans inevitably will pose a risk of ingestion by sea birds, fish, marine mammals, etc. It’s not uncommon to see articles of sea life found dead with significant amounts of plastic in their stomach. (Forbes,Jul 26, 2017)
- SLS (Sodium lauryl sulfate) can be made from petroleum oil (via the OXO process) or from coconut or palm oil (via the Ziegler process). In both processes, fatty acids are extracted and converted to fatty alcohols, then sulfonated to become a crystalline salt. If SLS undergoes a chemical process called “ethoxylation,” it becomes SLES.
Here are a few more goodies that I have picked out for you, which are either, vegan, paraben free, cruelty free, biodegradable, natural or organic. Hope you enjoy, I would love to hear what your favourite natural hair care products are?